Saturday, July 17, 2010

257/365 - Terrible Twos

How can something so adorable be so miserable? We've definitely hit the "terrible twos". How long do they last? And how am I going to survive them?

Last night I crawled into bed when Isobel woke up and ended up sleeping with her. When she woke up this morning, shortly after 6, I passed her off to Jon and went back to bed.

Jon had his gaming weekend this weekend since the normal weekend for this month would be a long weekend. Isobel and I walked him there. She had a bottle and seemed rather tired, so I was hoping she'd fall asleep in her stroller. She got close, but didn't manage to actually fall asleep and decided to stay awake after dropping Jon off.

Isobel and I walked to Richmond Center. I wanted to buy a few sale summer things from Gymboree to set aside for next year with the Gymboree bucks my mom got while she was still here. I managed to get five things, although one pair of shorts will not fit her for a couple of years. Since Isobel hadn't fallen asleep, she wanted to "walk" and was getting frustrated with me for making her stay in the stroller while I shopped at the one store. Once finished there, I let her out and we wandered around the mall for a bit.

Then headed to the library to return some books and pick up a couple others. Walked home through the park. Stopped at the playground for a while. Isobel didn't want to leave it. Managed to get her walking towards home, but she kept wanting to stop and have me change George's bum. I managed to get her to agree that we'd only change George's bum at a park bench. That got us moving, but George went through a lot of diapers and we had to stop at every bench she found. George also wanted to "walk" and Isobel would hold his hands and help him "walk". By the time we got to the stairs, I was tired and wanted some time at home before we had to leave to get Jon. Isobel did not agree and refused to go with me. So I ended up putting a screaming child in the stroller. By the time we got to our elevator the screaming had stopped and she was allowed out again.

We had a freezie, watched some "Up" and played before leaving to go pick up Jon. This time I decided to let her walk there, but brought the stroller as back up. Again, she didn't want to listen. The rules are simple, go the way we're traveling and not backwards, hold an adult's hand when crossing the road, and stay on the sidewalk. We remind her of the rules and don't expect her to remember them all the time yet, but expect her to listen to us. She didn't want to stay on the sidewalk so I ended up carrying her, or giving her a shoulder ride, most of the walk.

We arrived just as Jon was finishing. We then walked to the grocery store, at which Jon got to witness Isobel pushing her limits with not listening. He eventually got annoyed and put her in the stroller. Fortunately, she fell asleep quickly. She was still asleep when we arrived home (pictured).

We woke her up to help us make dinner - pizza on english muffins. And then went for a walk in Minoru Park after dinner. This time Isobel wanted to bring Kitty. And at every bench, Kitty needed Mommy to change her diaper. After a while it was the only way to get Isobel moving, ask her to find the next bench to change Kitty on. She saw through that after a while and decided to test us, yet again, by refusing to leave one of the benches and then running back to it when I carried her away from it. I was trying to be very patient with changing Kitty's diaper, I didn't want to have to deal with Isobel not listening too. So she got carried part of the way. And then was allowed to walk again on the last stretch home. But she would keep refusing to come any further until we "bribed" her; the last bribe was that we needed her to let us into the apartment as we had run our of diapers for Kitty and she was wet. I'm not sure how that one worked, but somehow it did.

Jon gave Isobel a bath. And then I put her to bed. It took her way to long to fall asleep and it was a lot later than her normal bedtime. I'm exhausted after the last couple of days and am really tempted to take some Mommy time very soon.

Uploaded by Brandi, Jon and Isobel on 17 Jul 10, 9.43PM PDT.

No comments:

Post a Comment