I got off work at 7am this morning and headed home to take a short nap. When I walked into the apartment Isobel was just exiting her bedroom; she looked excited to see me and I feared that I would cuddle with her instead napping as her potential crying from mommy locking her out of mommy's bedroom would prevent napping. However, Jon was great and managed to distract her so I could nap. Was back up just after 9am so that I could get ready for my 10am breastfeeding clinic appointment. I also thought that Jon had to get to work, but he apparently told me that he was sick with my cough cold and was calling in.
The breastfeeding clinic was a little useful. Did not learn anything that I didn't already know about weaning, but got a bunch of pamphlets about services in Richmond and was told that as long as Isobel is getting calcium from other sources we don't have to force her to drink milk. But if she'll eat it with cereal, keep using the whole milk for that. Again we were encouraged to get her off the bottle and told that we could just give her two ounces of formula and instead of topping up the bottle with milk to just use water. Richmond is very focused on preventing cavities from milk and sugars in young children; they encourage you to have your child see a dentist by the time they are one; whereas our dentist in Vancouver (and even our pediatrician in Vancouver) didn't seem to think an actual dentist appointment was necessary until two - just bring her in with us to get her used to the office.
On our way to pick up some groceries we walked through the mall. Isobel got a few more rubber balls from Old Navy - she has so much fun with them - and a couple of pairs of pajamas in a bigger size.
On our walk, Jon and I agreed that the nurse is right, I need to be firmer with Isobel and not let her breastfeed when I don't want her to. We also agreed that when my mom comes out to stay with us, it's the perfect importunity to get rid of Isobel's night time bottle.
When we got home, I got Isobel some lunch and then went to bed. I managed to get about two plus hours of sleep in. When I got up, Isobel and Jon were asleep on the couch. I love that she'll still fall asleep on his chest sometimes, like when she was a baby. After Isobel woke up, she wanted some snuggle time with mommy.
I then decided it was time to take her out to the park since we've spent the last couple of days in the courtyard only. Jon opted to stay home and then mentioned that it was raining out. Since the park is less than a block away, I decided that a little rain wouldn't kill us; this is Vancouver after all.
Isobel seemed to have a lot of fun watching the ducks on the lake - she even kept saying "duck" - her second word (apart from mum, dada and signing milk);. And then we found some bunnies brave enough to venture out in the rain. Isobel was so excited. She started walking towards them and then they'd hop away. We then found another bunny who was more courageous, as Isobel started walking towards it, it started hopping towards her. Eventually, the bunny came too close and mommy had to pick Isobel up. I think figured we were wet enough and it was time to head home and tell Daddy all about our adventure.
Jon made us pasta for dinner. Isobel wasn't interested in it so had yogurt instead. I gave her her bath.
Since the nurse was so adamant, we picked up Isobel her own toothbrush (not a baby one) and toothpaste. Tonight, we brought the stool into the bathroom, put a teeny tiny amount of kids toothpaste on the toothbrush and brushed her teeth. She seemed to enjoy it.
Jon put Isobel to bed with a formula topped with extra water bottle. I managed to get some laundry folded and the dishwasher loaded and on before I figured I should check on Jon to see if he fell asleep with Isobel. I woke him up to let him know I was hopping in the shower. He got up and worked on his photo and then took over the PS3.
I'm just waiting to go to another graveyard shift at work. Really glad that I have Thursday off; I think I'll be heading to bed whenever Isobel falls asleep tomorrow night.
Uploaded by Brandi, Jon and Isobel on 10 Feb 10, 5.43PM PDT.
No comments:
Post a Comment