Friday, September 3, 2010

305/365 - 22 Months Old

I left work early today to go with Jon and Isobel to her first dentist appointment. Her appointment was with a pediatric dentist, Dr. A. Chan. I really liked the office; there was lots of things to keep children entertained in the waiting area. Even if it's more expensive than a regular dentist, I think it's definitely worth it for Isobel; I'm still waiting to find out how much her appointment cost as they're sending the balance to the second dental plan first.

The dental hygienist, was really good with Isobel and explained what some of the tools were, what they were for, and how they worked. I think most of this was a bit advanced for Isobel's age, but she was impressed with the little mirror and the straw-like device. Isobel got to pick a new toothbrush and then show the dental hygienist how she brushes her teeth. And then she was really good about letting the hygienist brush her teeth. Next time, they'll try using their tools for cleaning, but for this introductory appointment they were happy with a toothbrush and introduction to things.

Dr. Chan then had a look at Isobel's teeth. Isobel sat on my lap, facing me, and then laid her head down on a pillow in Dr. Chan's lap. She was really good about opening her mouth and letting Dr. Chan look around. Isobel's teeth are doing good; no cavities (which apparently are growing in frequency in young children). There may be crowding issues later, but it's still early to be sure. She said that we're doing a good job brushing Isobel's teeth at night, and that when she's a little bit older (another year or two) we should add a morning brush to the routine. She also recommended that we take a wet toothbrush with us when we put Isobel to bed and quickly brush with it once she's finished her bottle. Overall, it was a very pleasant experience. Isobel goes back in six months for the next check-up.

We then ate lunch at Oakrigde and on the way to drop Jon off at work I picked up the rest of the supplies required for my first sewing project - converting a pillowcase into a dress for Isobel. I'm hoping to try to figure out the sewing machine this weekend and give it a go. If I run into problems I have a few people who I'll be asking help from.

Isobel and I eventually took a nap in the afternoon. She slept for close to 2.5 hours and I slept and then read until she woke up.

I made Cornish Pasties for dinner; although it took longer to make than I expected and was a really late dinner. They tasted okay; I would make them again, but make some modifications. Isobel wasn't interested in eating the one that I cut up for her.

While dinner was in the oven we took Isobel's 22 month old picture with her penguin. I can not believe that in two months my baby will be two. Where does the time go?

Uploaded by Brandi, Jon and Isobel on 3 Sep 10, 8.11PM PDT.

No comments:

Post a Comment